Did you know that you can donate publicly traded securities?
Donors can give investments (stocks, bonds, mutual funds) that have grown in value to a Canadian registered charity and pay no capital gains tax. If you gift securities that have depreciated in value, you can claim a tax loss.
There are two ways to give a gift of securities.
1. Canada Helps can now facilitate gifts of securities.Donate Securities Today
2. Give directly to VSAC (this option is coming soon! We are in the process of setting up our account with RBC). Giving directly to VSAC costs less administratively than donating through Canada Helps. Here are the steps:
- Complete our “Make a Gift of Securities” form (coming soon: downloadable PDF Form) and deliver to your broker/investment advisor
- Your investment advisor will contact and transfer the donated securities to our brokerage account at RBC
- Donated securities will be valued as of the last trade of the day, the day they are received into the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre’s account at RBC
- The Victoria Sexual Assault Centre will send you a tax receipt for the value of the securities
- Our policy is to sell securities within one week so that revenue from the sale can positively impact our programs and services immediately
You can also donate securities in your will and because capital gains will not be taxed, your estate may have tax savings that increase the amount in your estate left to your other beneficiaries.
A Note About This Information
The information provided is general in nature and not intended to be a substitute for professional legal or financial advice. Please seek independent legal and financial advice from your trusted advisors.