Sexual Assault Response Team
“Research shows that when a survivor receives compassionate support during the initial response, it has a significant impact on their healing”
- Provide immediate emotional support to survivors of recent sexual assaults (all genders, 13+)
- Facilitate accompaniment to the clinic, hospital, and medical/police involvement as requested by the survivor.
- Provide information regarding medical and forensic procedures, and options for reporting to police. Survivors are given the opportunity to make informed choices.
- Provide information on follow-up counselling and justice-related services available through Victoria Sexual Assault Centre.
- Provide support and information to family and other support people who are present with the survivor.
- Represent the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre in a professional manner and champion on behalf of the survivor when necessary.
- three on-call shifts per month for a year (36 shifts total)
- shifts are overnights and weekends
- Training is typically offered once a year. It is a 72 hour training program over a three month period facilitated by VSAC staff and counsellors. Training provides both skill development and personal growth work through a series of lectures and role play opportunities.
- Over 19 years old
- Criminal record check
- Live in the Greater Victoria area
- This volunteer position is open to women, Trans and Gender Non-Conforming folks
- Application: We ask that all potential SART volunteers fill out an application form. All information given in the application remains confidential. To receive an application contact the Coordinator of Volunteers at .
- Interview: After completion and review of the application, selected applicants will be scheduled for an interview with the Coordinator of Volunteers. This gives us a chance to learn more about you as well as an opportunity for you to learn more about the program.
- Acceptance: After an interview and reference check, all volunteers will be informed by the Coordinator of Volunteers if they have been accepted into training.
- Training: It is 72hrs training over a three month period – volunteers are required to attend every session.
- Final Review: After evaluation from training, all volunteers will be informed by the Coordinator of Volunteers if they have been accepted as a SART volunteer.
SART Application: email
- January 31, 2018
If you wish to apply or would like more information, please contact the Coordinator of Volunteers at 250-383 – 5545 Ext. 126 or
Thank You for Volunteering With Us!
We look forward to hearing from you.