Response to COVID-19
I’m writing to inform you about the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre’s response to COVID-19. Our commitment to our clients, colleagues, and communities that we serve is of the highest priority to VSAC.
We have determined that the most socially responsible and preventative action to COVID-19 is to move operations and staff to remote status where possible. For some client services, we are implementing heightened sanitation and social distancing protocols.
Through these challenging times, we continue to provide services to those who are in need of our support. We know that during periods of greater uncertainty, there is potential for a rise in violence as people try to find control. Positioning ourselves to remain healthy and to have systems in place to offer continual service to our communities increases our chances of meeting emergent needs.
Given the current health concerns with COVID-19 VSAC has implemented the following:
- Support and counselling appointments will be available via video/phone. Clients can contact their counsellor directly or the Access line (250-383-3232) if they have questions or to reschedule an appointment.
- 24-hour emergency sexual assault response will continue to be provided by the Sexual Assault Response Team at our Sexual Assault Clinic. We are implementing increased sanitation and social distancing protocols for this service.
- Our Service Access Line continues operations Monday-Friday 9 am-5 pm.
- The VSAC office is closed for drop-ins.
- All plans for future gatherings or groups will be put on hold until the COVID-19 has been contained.
- We have increased cleaning and disinfecting of all commonly touched surfaces at the Centre.
- We will not be accepting any physical donations and we thank you for your continued financial support as we navigate this difficult time. Donations can be made through our secure donation page.
We are monitoring new developments regularly to ensure that these procedures are in line with recommended actions. We will continue to adapt our work as necessary to ensure continual services for survivors to restore a sense of safety and well-being as they work through the impacts of sexualized violence.
We hope that you and your loved ones remain healthy and safe.
If you are in need of services:
If you have been recently assaulted: Access our 24-hour Sexual Assault Response Team service by calling the Vancouver Island Crisis Line (1-888-494-3888) and requesting to speak to a VSAC Sexual Assault Support Worker.
For immediate emotional support call the Vancouver Island Crisis Line (1-888-494-3888 ) and/or if you have health concerns call HealthLink BC at 811 or your health care provider.
If you are able to give we are accepting donations online. You can make a one-time gift or sign up for a monthly donation through our secure online page. Thank you for your support.Donate Today